Saturday, July 21, 2012

Low Country Shrimp Boil

     We had some great friends over for dinner last night. We hadn't seen them in a while and it was so glad to catch up! I love cooking and entertaining in my home and love to serve them this way :). Lance got me Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible a couple months ago and I have been eyeing a recipe in it since. It is her Low Country Shrimp Boil. Lance can be pretty picky about his food so I love when we have people over and I can try out recipes he may not normally eat.



Ingredients
Crab boil seasoning (such as Zatarian's or Old Bay)
12 small Red Potatoes
6 pieces (4in long) smoked sausage (e.g. andouille)
6 ears corn
3 lb large shrimp with shells

1. Fill  a LARGE pot with enough water to cover all the ingredients (I used 7 qts). Add 2 tsp crab boil seasoning for every quart of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the potatoes and sausage to the boiling water and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Add the corn and cook for 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for 3 minutes. You do no want to overcook the shrimp!
3. Drain and serve with plenty of butter and good bread.
4. Prepare to be blown away!

     This was SO easy and SO good! I couldn't believe how quickly it came together! You need a humongous pot to cook it in, but that's the only pot you need for the meal. We have a hard time finding fresh sea food here so I just used a frozen deveined easy peel shrimp I got at walmart and it worked great, but I'm sure it would be even better if you have access to fresh shrimp. I served this with some great everything italian loaf and a salad I made but forgot to put out. The recipe says it feeds 6 but that is six big appetites because there was four of us (plus a Brody) eating it and there is a TON left over! This is a great entertaining meal because it has such and awesome, laid back, summertime feel to it. So go right now and make it today; you will be so glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment