Sunday, July 8, 2012

Banana's Foster Banana Bread

Hey y'all! Hope you're having a fantastic weekend! I got a little creative in the recipe department this weekend and here's what I came up with.
My brother-in-law loves banana's foster, so I will occasionally try to come up with variations to the classic dessert. This one happen to come in the form of banana bread



Recipe:
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 mashed bananas
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
almost a half a teaspoon rum extract
1 pkg caramel bits, reserve a couple handfuls to sprinkle on top

Directions
Preheat oven to 325, grease loaf pan and set aside
Blend together eggs, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and rum extract and bananas.
Sift together sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture and mix well
Coat caramel pieces in flour and add to mixture
Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hr and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

The Verdict:
I liked this bread very well but there were a couple problems. First, I'm a dingbat and new as soon as it happened that I goofed. I forgot to coat the caramels with flour before adding so needless to say, my bread had bit of a mushy caramel bottom with no caramels in the middle. Also, I think that this recipe could have used a little more rum extract in it. Next time I plan on increasing the amount to closer to 3/4 teaspoon rum extract and take the vanilla down to around 3/4 teaspoon as well.
For the most part this bread was pretty good and pan on trying to perfect it :). If any of you have any tips to make this more banana's foster esque,  I'd love to hear them!

Have a blessed Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment