Thursday, November 7, 2013

Making Your Home a Haven- Family Fun Night


The second challenge in Making Your Home a Haven was planning a Family Fun Night. The focus of this challenge is working on gentleness in your home.

J.R. Miller says “The richest heritage that parents can give is a happy childhood, withtender memories of father and mother. This will brighten the coming days when the children have gone out from the sheltering home, and will be a safeguard in times of temptation and a conscious help amid the stern realities of life.”


Our family fun night was all about pumpkin carving. We anxiously waited for daddy to get home and dinner to get eaten. Then we busted out the pumpkins, knives and spoons and prepared ourselves for a rich, fun night. 


This was the first year Brody was really into decorating pumpkins. It is so neat to see him beginning to enjoy the holidays and begin making memories and traditions with him. Building these warm fun family memories are something near and dear to my heart. My mom's Alzheimer's is getting worse. She doesn't share many memories with us anymore, and when she does remember a certain time or event, the people, times and details are usually grossly confused. However, I remember them, my sister remembers them, my brother remembers them, my nieces and nephews remember them. These are gifts she gave to us without even knowing she was doing it. Even though she can't look back fondly on these times like we can anymore, we can. We remember the warm, love filled family nights and traditions she began with us. And we're better people for it. 

This is what I want to give my family. If there ever is a time I am not here, or unable to remember these wonderful times, they will have them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment