Thursday, October 11, 2012

If It's Got A Cowboy In It...

     If it's got "cowboy" in it, you know it's going to be good. I am an Oklahoma girl through and through, so I know only good things come from the word "cowboy." And this recipe is NO exception.
I got this recipe from the The Pioneer Woman. A God fearin' rancher's wife from Oklahoma? Y'all know she has gotta know what she's doing. :) This recipe is absolutely no exception. I may have I'm pretty sure I could have eaten the entire pan. So, Happy Thursday and You're Welcome! And go make this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack or all of the above!

You'll need
1 Deep Dish Pie Crust

8 slices bacon, fired until crispy
2 yellow onions sliced
2 tablespoons butter (or bacon grease)
8 eggs
1 ½ cup heavy cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat your oven to 400 F 



First, Roll out your pie crust and lay it in the pan. Confession: I used a store bought. True story, I didn't even know they made store bought pie crust until I was well into my teen years and caught a friends mom doing it. Our family pie crust recipe is that good. One day I'll share it with you. :) Ok, back to the point. Store crust works fine for this because unlike pies, it's the inside that's the star of this dish. I used both of the crust that comes in the package and smooshed (yes, it's a word. Right?) them together so the crust would be thicker. 



Next, begin caramelizing your onions. I used bacon grease instead of the butter. Why? Because I'm a small town Oklahoma girl and we all have it in our fridges in a coffee mug. Right? No, just me? Well, give it a try. It's delicious with this. Just save the grease from the bacon you fried for this. 



Be patient and keep the heat to medium and in about 15 minutes you'll have this yummy, golden onion deliciousness It's worth the wait. Trust me. 



Mix the eggs, heavy cream and salt and pepper in a bowl. 



Now, add the onions, cheese and bacon to the egg mixture and throughly combine. 


Pour the mixture into your pie crust and cover lightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the quiche is set and the crust is golden brown


You end up with the most delectable quiche I have ever tasted. This is seriously good y'all. Make it up and serve it to your favorite Cowboys. Or your grandmas. Or your dogs. I don't really care you make it for, you just have to try it. It's that awesome. 




No comments:

Post a Comment