Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Greatest Commandment

"Teacher, what is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment."
Matthew 22:36-38


     This week in Sunday school we were talking about sacrifice as a Christian. We turned to the ultimate example of sacrifice, the crucifixion. Anytime I have thought of the crucifixion before, I think of all Jesus did for me. What it meant for my life. What he was offering me through his sacrifice. My husband (who is like really amazing y'all), brought up an aspect of the cross I had never thought of. Jesus was acting out the greatest commandment. While we were on his minds on the cross, the main reason he was there, was because that's what God had asked of Him. 
     We see Christ asking in the garden, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me.; yet not my will, but yours be done." (Luke 22:42) Jesus is asking if there is any other way for the Father's will to be accomplished that he spare him the cross. However, because Jesus loves the Father so much; with all his heart, soul and mind, He trusts, and follows God's perfect plan. Jesus is The Great Example for us, and the love He demonstrates for the father is just further example for us. 


"And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments"
Matthew 22:39-40

     Love God, Love People. It's what it all boils down to. Time and time again throughout the Gospels we see Christ example of loving people. Even up to the end on the cross. We see Christ crying out for his fallen brothers and sister. "Father forgive them for they do not know what they are doing." ( Luke 22:34) We see Christ reaching out to the theft who confesses Him. "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 22:43). 
     If Christ can forgive, and love the very people that just nailed him to the cross; if he can cry out for convicted criminals. If he can love us, how can we not love the lady who cut us off in traffic this morning? How can we not forgive the guy who screwed up our mocha frappe skinny joe?
    This is an area I struggle with daily. Sure, it seems like an easy concept, but when you make it personal, that's when the sacrifice sets in. I find myself saying. "Ok, I can forgive that mouthy doctor, but her, no way, not happening. You don't even KNOW what she's done to me." But who am I to say who is worth my love and forgives. If I were to look to Christ more. Follow his perfect example. Totally surrender and love my God with ALL my heart ALL my soul and ALL my mind, how could I NOT. After all, he loves and forgives me daily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment