Friday, February 22, 2013

Preparing for Easter

We are now in the season of Lent. We belong to an Independent Christian church, and while we don't place any emphasis on this season, I want to use these days as a time of preparation and teaching in our home so that our children will always know the true meaning of Easter.

This week I spent time with Brody reading and telling him about the Triumphal Entry. I love accompanying a craft with lessons and important stories because I really think it helps children grasp the idea and meaning behind them.

Here's the craft we made to drive home the Triumphal Entry. I apologize for the lack of quality and quantity of the pictures. I accidentally rebooted (or whatever the technical term is) my iPhone and erased the pictures I already had on there. So I was forced to just snap a quick end product pic.



I took two leaves from an old wreath and dipped them in paint, then let Brody apply the "stamps" the be paper so they resembled the palms branches laid down. Then found a picture of Jesus riding a donkey on the internet, printed it off and let Brody color it. Then we glued it on top of the "branches."
This week we have been saying "Hosanna, in the highest." And singing a song we sing in church,

"Clap your hands all you people, shout unto God with a voice of triumph. 
Clap your hands all you people, shout unto God with a voice of praise. 
Hosanna! Hosanna! Shout unto God with a voice of triumph! 
Praise Him, Praise Him! Shout unto God with a voice of praise! "


What activities are you doing with your kids to help them prepare for the Easter season? I'd love to read your ideas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment