Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Making Your Home a Haven-The Kitchen


This Challenge was probably my favorite because the Kitchen is the heart of our home. I love to cook and bake. I love showing love to people by preparing a meal for them. There is nothing like the smell of something baking in your home. 
This Challenge:
 Focus on the kitchen, the heart of the home.  Cook things with pleasant aromas  like homemade bread, pies, and cookies.  Don’t wait to have a reason to make something special – do it simply to show love to your family. Invite your kids and/or hubby to cook along side of you – make memories in the kitchen – test tasting, being creative, laughing and loving. Remember the importance of dinner time around the table as a family. Work on showing love to your family. 
I have always had Brody in the kitchen with me. I affectionately refer to him as my little sous chef. Even when he was an infant, I'd move his bouncer into the kitchen and talk to him about what I was making and how. As soon as he was old enough to stand in a chair safely, I had him right in the kitchen with me. He loves it. If I start to do anything in the kitchen, he's coming up next to me saying, "I elp momma?" His 2 1/2 year old attention span usually stays with me long enough to dump a few things in the bowl. But then he's on to pulling my spoons and spatulas out, opening and closing the lid on the crockpot putting cupcake liners in and taking them out. But he's with me. Experiencing it with me. It is such a special time for us. I have so many memories of cooking with my mom, I can't wait for Brody to have these too. 
For this specific challenge we spent the afternoon making homemade applesauce. I could not believe how easy it was! Applesauce was always a little intimidating for me, but this was unbelievably easy and it made the house smell AMAZING!



You can find our recipe for applesauce here!

2 comments:

  1. My kitchen is absolutely the heart of my home! I just LOVE my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours too! My kitchen is in dire need of some updating and is horribly mismatched, as we've started the process, but it is the heart of our home too. And that's what makes it beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete