Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Make Your Home A Haven

I stumbled on this wonderful blog through a friend's facebook page. Unfortunately, I was a couple weeks late for the link up, so I thought I would just wait and cram my "home into a haven" transformation into a week. Each week Courtney gave a practical tip and challenge to give your home the feel of a haven. I love this quote by Courtney...

I believe we can create a physical environment, 
as well as a spiritual environment, that can bring peace, 
harmony and a sense of calmness to our homes if we are willing to be intentional.

I want my home to be a feeling. I love walking in the door and the overwhelming peace that can be felt. I love the comfort, the warmth and the love that accompanies this feeling. It seems like this feeling is most felt during the holidays. I also feel challenged to provide this same feeling for my husband and child. I want home to be more than just a physical address for them. I want it to me their heart, their safe place, their memories. 

Here was Courtney's first challenge...
Go buy an extra large candle and light it everyday in your home. I will be starting mine in the morning but if you work – you can start yours at dinner time and let it burn until you go to bed. Do what makes sense for your family. I will be placing mine in the kitchen – the main hub of my home.
Each time the candle catches your eye, say a prayer for peace in your home.
Philippians 4: 6,7 says: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, byprayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
There is something so warm about a candle. It's no secret that I'm a scentsy lover. I love the decoration of the warmers, I love the scents, I love that I can leave them on and know my house will smell divine when I get home. But there's something about a candle, something about the warmth, the flicker, the act of lighting that just has more feeling attached to it, so rather than just falling back on my well used scentys I went out and bought an actual candle. 

 Every morning I've lit this candle and said a prayer for the peace of our home. Every day I pray that Brody and his future wife have childhoods full of love and laughter. I believer part of this starts with the environment of the home. I vow to always try to make my home a haven for all those who enter in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment